Monday, July 7, 2008

Thanksgiving Day Blues

***Thanksgiving is over but this is still applicable...wanted to share...Love You***

Thanksgiving Day Blues
by Tammi Lorraine

"I woke up dis mornin,
'On Thanksgivin' Day.
Ah should be smilin,
'But my family three
thousan' miles away.
I gots the blues...
The Holiday Blues …"

The enthusiasm I awoke with quickly fades as remember my family is all the way on the East Coast. There is no smell of bacon frying or the familiar sound of my mom calling all females to the kitchen to help cook. I, along with my two younger sisters, am always drafted into her cooking, baking and cleaning regime every holiday; a tradition I usually loathe, but this day yearn for.

Loneliness silently sneaks in as I lay in my bed reminiscing of past Thanksgiving days. My phone rings, snapping me out of my nostalgia.

"Are you up? Are you ready to go?" the friendly voice on the other end asks.

"No, not yet, I'm just getting up now," I answer.

"Well hurry up. I'm ready to eat," they reply jokingly.

A smile creeps upon my face as I jump out of my bed with a newfound joy. "Okay, okay. I'll be ready ASAP."

I'm reminded of John 14:16, "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, who will never leave you." Although Jesus was speaking of the Holy Spirit, peace settles in me as I thank God for my H.O.P.E.'s House family. Many people know I am out here by myself and extended their homes to me on Thanksgiving Day. God knew where I would be during the holiday and He wasn't going to leave me lonely and in despair. He was going to provide. As we embark on this holiday season, be comforted in knowing God doesn't want us feeling lonely. He knows our every need.

As Thanksgiving Day ended, I counted my blessings, lounging on my comfy couch, wrapped in my Redskins throw, full from a delicious meal and the love of friends.

No comments: